Wednesday, October 14, 2015

This is a difficult topic to write about for many reasons.  St. Ignatius gave direction to many in their lives with plenty of purpose and insightful wisdom.  He says that people should try to be indifferent to the material and aesthetic aspects of life.  We should not be worried about sickness or health, poverty or wealth, success or failure, or even a long or short life.  This is hard for me to understand because I want to be healthy, successful, and wealthy with a relatively long life.  These seem like normal desires, and I feel as though these desire are aimed in a good direction.  If these are one's desires wouldn't that lead them to a full life?  I think its important to take care of the body, mind, and soul.  Health is part of all of these.  Success is measured only by the individual attempting to achieve it.  What is wrong with wanting to set goals and reach them?  Wealth is understandably an entity that is not of the utmost importance, but regardless of what someone wants in terms of wealth, it is necessary.   A long life isn't necessarily that important, but in order to accomplish your goals, you may need time.  This all makes what St. Ignatius said difficult to understand.  I would have to say that in terms of his philosophy of indifference that I am failing.  Should I be concerned is the question, considering that one of the entities of the philosophy is a lack of concern for success.  As I write about my failing in this philosophy and how I am not understanding St. Ignatius's words, I can't help but feel as though I must be misinterpreting what he is saying.  Indifference in his terms seems to be a lack of attachment rather than a sort of apathy.  So rather than take the advice as guidance away from these things or goals people may have, I think that maybe St. Ignatius meant for us to pursue our goals, but not be consumed by them.  It is always important for us to really understand that there are things so much bigger than ourselves in this life.  So, yes try to stay healthy, but when I'm not I will not let it weigh upon my conscience.  I do however have a strong affinity for health, success, wealth, and longevity, which makes me feel as though I am not doing St. Ignatius justice.  I understand a need for balance in one's life, but I think the necessary balance should be between the things previously mentioned.  Health is obviously more appeasing than sickness, and I do not think that Ignatius was suggesting that we find a balance between sickness and health as much as he meant a balance between what we held as important in our lives.  To be healthy, successful, wealthy, and to live a long life are all great goals, but the key is to balance them in terms of importance.  This I think I do much better than the actual philosophy of indifference.  Perhaps I care too much about all of these things.  I am typically a perfectionist and that is a problem for me often.  This is where I think I can take the advice of St. Ignatius and it would not contradict any of my beliefs.  Giving too much worth to these goals can be enveloping and that is what I believe St. Ignatius was talking about when he said that we should be indifferent toward worldly things.

No comments:

Post a Comment